Tuesday 17 April 2018

Eleanor Oliphaunt is Completely Fine, by Gail Honeyman

This book has absolutely rightly done really well, so probably lots of you have read it already. And I can’t say mouth about it because it would spoil its unexpectedness. But I’ve just finished it so I want to acknowledge it and say how much I enjoyed it.

It’s about a young woman who at the beginning of the book has very little in her life, and is convinced that’s how she likes it. She lives alone, has a job she tolerates with people who puzzle her, and can only get through the weekends by drinking copious amounts of vodka alone in her flat. But gradually things begin to change, and we find out, bit by bit, why she is in this state.

It’s sad, shocking, but also very funny. I feel better for having read it.

5 comments:

  1. "Feeling better for having read it" is is a very good reason for reading a book, in my opinion. Besides, I haven't yet read the novel yet but can now look forward to doing so. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 209 on waiting list in local library.
    Popular book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waterstones received a visit, and I've now read it. Quite difficult to put down. Thank you for recommending, and congratulations on your successful new book, Jack Fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you liked it, and thank you! Sorry your comment took so long to appear - for some reason the notification went into the spam folder, and I've only just found it.

    ReplyDelete