Thursday 5 September 2024

What you are looking for is in the library - by Michiko Aoyama

 Books set in Japan seem to be having a moment just now - there are several on the display tables in Waterstones. (If you scroll down a bit, you'll see my review of Four Seasons in Japan, by an English writer who has lived in Japan for many years.)

I read quite a variety of types of books. I've often tried to figure out why on the one hand, I like crime novels and thrillers - while on the other, I like life-affirming books about ordinary lives, where nothing obviously dramatic happens. I also read historical fiction, and non-fiction about travel, nature, and politics. I don't these days read science fiction or horror stories, though I did many years ago. And I'm increasingly unwilling to read dystopian fiction - I find real life quite worrying enough, without positing a horrendous future inhabited by feral tribes and featuring a deathly, post-industrial landscape.

It's partly to do with mood, of course - and partly to do with time of day. I want something soothing for my bedtime reading: recently, gripped by Jack Reacher novels, I've found myself waking from nightmares, and I can't be doing with that, thank you very much. Incidentally - did anyone hear Lee Child being interviewed on the Today programme earlier this week about libraries, and how important they'd been to him as a boy growing up in Birmingham? He was excellent. He said that any passing relative would be inveigled into signing up for a library ticket, so that the family could take out more books than their allotted number - even the dog had a ticket! (I remember this was a big advantage of working as a Saturday girl at the library in our town - I could take out as many books as I wanted.)


Anyway, back to quiet books, of which this is one. It takes the form of a series of stories about an unconnected group of characters, each of who feels 'stuck' in their lives. Each of them happens to go to a small library, where they encounter a rather mysterious librarian, Sayuri Komachi. 'Her skin is super-pale - you can't even see where her chin ends and her neck begins - and she is wearing a beige apron over an off-white, loose-knit cardigan. She reminds me of a polar bear curled up in a cave for winter... She is looking down at something, but I can't see what exactly.'

The thing she is looking down at is an object made by felting. When someone comes to her asking for a book on a particular subject, she will recommend one for them. But she will also recommend one which is nothing to do with what the customer has asked for, and she will also give them one of these small felted objects. And somehow or other, the unexpected book and the object will between them reveal - or help the customer to discover - what it is they need to do to change their life. Some of the customers meet, or their lives cross in some way - and that's essentially it.

So - nothing obviously dramatic. But a message emerges about hope, and the possibility that you  can make small changes which will make a big difference - at whatever stage of life you are at. It's clever, subtle, gentle and joyous. It might be just what you need in times like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment